Job Posting Title
Senior R&D Staff – SANS Instrument Scientist / NB50693637
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States’ highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world’s
most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. Within this directorate, the Neutron Scattering Division (NSD)
operates the 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, studying a diverse range of materials using elastic and inelastic
neutron scattering, small angle neutron scattering (SANS), neutron reflectometry and neutron imaging techniques. Each year,
more than 1,000 experiments are carried out at HFIR and SNS in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. Scientific research areas include quantum materials, soft matter and polymers, catalysis and interfacial chemistry,
materials and engineering, biological materials and systems and applications of computing, modeling and data analytics to
analysis of neutron scattering data. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To
learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to:
The Large Scale Structures Group of the Neutron Science Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking
an outstanding candidate as an Instrument Scientist who can participate on an SANS instrument team and build a robust
science user program. We are seeking candidates who are self-motivated, and have good interpersonal communication and
presentation skills. You should also demonstrate an ability to interact effectively with research staff at all levels, and to work
within a multidisciplinary team.
* Participate in user support, instrument development, and research activities at HFIR and/or SNS SANS instruments.
* Assist users as a local contact for experimental setup, data acquisition, user education as appropriate and will ensure
users are provided with analyzable data.
* Champion developments of neutron scattering instrumentation with various biological and/or soft condensed matter
characterization tools in order to further develop the user program in SANS at ORNL.
* Develop a high-quality personal research program that is well aligned with the mission of the NScD and exploit the myriad
of experimental opportunities at ORNL.
* Publish research results in scientific journals, maintain a strong commitment to the implementation of ORNL values and
ethics and ensure compliance with environmental, safety, health and quality program requirements.
* Ph.D. in Biollogy, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Materials Science or related fields
* 5 or more years of experience with X-ray or neutron scattering post Ph.D
* Demonstrated ability to communicate research results in peer-reviewed publications.
* Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment tackling complex problems.
* Knowledge about the structure of biological and/or soft condensed matter is a distinct advantage.
* 6 or more years of relevant scattering experience.
* A track record of successful user support at a neutron or x-ray scattering facility is a distinct advantage.
* Ph.D.-level or post-doctoral experience at a neutron scattering or synchrotron facility is desired.
* Demonstrated ability to work with graduate students, post docs and other research scientists from academia and industry.
* Demonstrated ability to work with support and technical groups to advance sample environment, or data reduction or
analysis of SANS data.
Work Directions and Interfaces
This position will report to the Large Scale Structures Group Leader in the Neutron Scattering Division. The candidate is
expected to take advantage of opportunities to build collaborations with other Directorates within ORNL.
%d blogger hanno fatto clic su Mi Piace per questo: